with Jenny Tune
As a trained Acupuncturist I am qualified to treat your health problems
- We have extensive training backgrounds and valuable experience in supporting people’s health and wellbeing with traditional acupuncture.
- We approach our treatments by drawing on thousands of years of practice and development from East Asian medicine combined with contemporary evidence based medical practices and innovative techniques.
- We create unique treatments for everyone that comes to us, taking time to look at both the symptoms and the underlying causes.
- We are members of the British Acupuncture Council who are the leading self regulating for Acupuncture in the UK today.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a therapy that has been used for thousands of years to treat a wide variety of conditions. Its usage stems from traditional Chinese medicine which views the body as an integrated whole. Through tongue and pulse diagnosis and asking questions the practitioner is able to identify which systems are weak, blocked or over active. Acupuncture points are then specifically selected to simultaneously treat the symptoms and the root cause of the issue. Ultra fine needles are inserted into the points to influence the flow of Qi in the body. By doing this the body system can be bought back into balance, restoring health and well being and increasing the resilience of the system to future problems.
How many treatments will I need?
This will vary for everyone. An improvement in symptoms are usually seen by the fourth or fifth treatment, but for some people the improvements begin after the first treatment. Treatments are once a week to begin with and as symptoms are relieved and the patient feels better in themselves. The treatments are then spaced further apart as symptoms improve.
What will it feel like?
The needles are ultra fine and are usually painless on insertion. Once the needle has connected with your Qi (or energy) you may feel a variety of sensations near the needle. Some people describe this sensation as warm, pulling, tingley or tugging. Some people also feel this sensation away from the needle and understand it to be a positive sign for treatment. Each person’s experience will be slightly different.
What sort of needles do you use?
We practice clean needle technique and use high quality, ultra fine, sterile, single use acupuncture needles. Once a needle has been used it is immediately disposed of in a sharps box.
How will I feel after my treatment?
The body can be running on empty and once acupuncture returns the body to balance a deep sense of needing to rest and relax may happen. It is important to listen to your body and nurture this need for recuperation. The treatment can also release energy from within the body, and you may feel refreshed and energised.
COMMUNITY ACUPUNCTURE – ask Jenny about availability of this acupuncture model
What is Community Acupuncture?
Community Acupuncture is becoming a popular treatment option in the West. Up until recently, acupuncture has been practiced with one practitioner treating one patient per hour in a single room. The cost is often too high for many people to access care as often as they would like to. Acupuncture works really well when it is carried out frequently.
The community acupuncture model replicates how acupuncture is often carried out in China – in a large room with several treatment couches. We find this way of treating works really well, and many practitioners now choose to treat in this way. We maintain privacy by having partitions between our treatment couches as well as having a private room for talking if people would like to use it.
Treatments and consultations are carried out in the shared space, except at your initial consultation where we’ll be in a private room for the consultation part. Once you are lying down relaxed on the couch and the needles are in, our practitioners stay close by while they treat other patients. They are always at hand if you need anything and welcome you to let them know.
Why do people choose community acupuncture?
People choose to be treated in this setting for lots of reasons. Here are some of them:
- with the lower cost, people can afford to come more regularly to help manage their painful conditions
- they enjoy being around others while they are healing (as many of us know, modern life can be very isolating)
- people find it reassuring to know other people are in the room and that they are not alone
- it means people can choose acupuncture as part of their healthcare programme without having to stop doing something else that is helping them, like yoga or eating healthy food
- they like to be part of something that feels like a solution to a world that isn’t working well for the majority of the population
- their condition isn’t treated with acupuncture on the NHS and they can’t afford to pay privately
- friends and family like to go together, so they can both feel better at the same time
- there are many more, if you have a reason why you like being treated like this, let us know and we’ll add it to our list
To book an initial consultation with Jenny please visit the Affordable Acupuncture Booking page here http://acupunctureoxford.org/book-us/.